Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Married!

Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Blogging after ages.
So, what compelled me to start blogging again?. The need to express. As Airtel says, "Express Yourself".
College ended in Dec. I thought I had a six month break before joining with Exxon/Michelin in July.
Six months I did have but it hasnt exactly been a break.
I interned for a month with Thermax in February. While applying to Thermax, I was keen to work in their upcoming solar energy department. They denied saying it was in the research and development stage and so were reluctant to expose it to interns. However, I was told, that I would get exciting work in the "Innovation" department in the most successful product of Thermax, the S and M Boiler . How far behind times this dept was became evident when their understanding of innovation was making databases on MS Excel. Admittedly, I was not familiar with MS Excel( and it still finds way on my CV "Proficient in MS Office 2007" ), so whatever I was doing was a learning experience. A week into my intern, I had done all the learning there was to do. I quit Thermax.
A family friend once changed his job three times in two years..he finally ended up joining the company he'd quit the first time. Of course, he joined at a better post and salary. For a person whose world started and ended with defence forces, changing jobs..that too so frequently, seemed anathema.
However, now that I am myself working, I can understand the reason behind his changes.
At the time of joining an organization, work seems challenging, simply because its new and untried. A good job is able to sustain that challenging nature. A bad job isnt.
That's the difference between organizations that give careers and the ones that give jobs.
The former are good coys and the latter bad.
I couldnt quite understand why the interviewers would ask questions like- Do you like challenges? Where do you see yourself five years from now? How have you dealt with a difficult situation?...HR questions. I'd answered them diligently.
In retrospection, I believe that for the interviewers the answers mattered immensely. For, while the technical rounds indicate the aptitude for work, the HR rounds indicate the "longevity" of your stay with the company.
For a good org, if you answer saying yes, I love challenges, not just saying, but it also being indicated through your co curriculars, you appeal to them. Its a good match.
However, to a bad org, inspite of saying they have challenging work, they search for that nature only to determine if you dont have it. For they dont have the work to offer to suit your expectations. Instead, they select meidocres. Average expectation- easy to fulfill, employee stays, company profits.
If you consider yourself competitive and yet get rejected, dont lose heart. A job interview is like an arrange marriage. The interviewers of bad coys just found you too beautiful and succesful to marry. You are good as a girl friend but not as a wife. But then, they are not looking for flings...just someone to settle down with. Keep looking beautiful and your prince charming(a good coy) will find you soon.
Its not philosophy that I am throwing around but from my experience. I got rejected by coys, the numer of which I dont care to even mention now, partly out of embarassment and partly coz its inconsequential. Three months and so many heartaches..but I kept my faith..I am just too "beautiful" for these suckers, let my prince charming come.
It did come, in the form of Exxon Mobil..in fact if you follow Fortune 500, it's the King Charming.
Michelin Tires, loaded with gifts and hotel stays also extended an offer for marriage.
Whom will I marry?..
Not answering that yet, but married I will be and by accepting one I will be rejecting the other. Sadist I may sound, but "rejecting" a company, when I'd been at the receiving end, will be very sweet.
Best of luck to you if are looking to get married and also if you already are.
Cheers.

5 comments:

Ankit Kacholia

nice man... u should write more often..

R@R@ AVI$

the company and the girl r brilliantly inter-linked and stated.
i loved the ms office part...i cn cnnect to it.(lol) budgetingg....hehe...
apart 4m this know fr sure, its that one best girl that's w8ng fr u(coy)and for sure wud b impressed in taking u around wd her, hand in hand and proudly with all my instincts.
***4oo

Shekhar Kanodia

The blog presents an interesting analogy between job interview and arrange marriage, lot of thought has been given to bring out the similarities in a very expressive manner, also the selection criteria of good and bad organization was highlighted lucidly.

Keep on blogging.

Shekhar Kanodia

Rahool

Interesting analogy.. Serves one well when the chips are down i reckon.. Didn't like the aesthetics . No paragraphs,no sentence continuation etc.. A bit untidy.. I'm glad ur married though!! And I'd pick Exxon any day!

Abhimanyu

@All- Thank You
@Gads- Bit rusty rite now...but yes..point noted..formatting is necessary

 
Talking Town ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates