Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The two sides of a BITSian

Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Being a BITSian!..is known only to a BITSian.Unlike other colleges that are situated in cities and where students interact immensely with each other..BITSians start and stop with just them.Ya,we have our fests but you dont get to see a BITSian cramming for exams on night outs,or going to classes in winters having not bathed for three days,reidies being the hangout as opposed to the hep McDs..no these and all other things are beyond the comprehension of anyone else.Tucked into a pocket six hours from the nearest city..we have evolved a culture that is unique to us.Our life is our campus and thats it..all my memories of college years will revolve around just this place.
It so strikes me that the BITSian has two sides to him..very contrasting ones The first one that is the negative, is prominently displayed in tests-cheat, cheat to all your glory!..The average BITSian views the institution of professorship as an obstacle to scoring grades..simply because he does not allow you to copy left right and center from the more sincere ones who studied since god knows when while he was indulging in fruitful activities of movie watching or LAN gaming.It seems as if cheating comes almost naturally.At times arguments center around who managed to cheat more or the more adventurous daring.In one General Biology class,I remember,a guy came in late while a test was being conducted.On taking his place and casually observing around him,he remarked to his neighbour..Damn,it is an Open Book test and I have forgotten my book.His neighbour in all seriousness replied "No need to feel bad..it is not Open Book..though you can share mine if you want to ".Reason..almost 90% of the class had their books open on the benches ,albeit under them.
The other side though less prominent is the more intriguing one.While buying books from the Coop store or signing for extras in messes or anywhere..proof of identification is rarely, if ever asked.It is so easy to fake someone else's sign and not get caught..because there is also no verification.In all my time here,I have never ever,even once, seen a BITSian do that.He will accept that he cannot afford it but never stoop low.This is the side that I take pride in.The conscience is so strong.The reason for it is simple -the culture does not allow it.Whenever people talk about organizations being successful..they usually quote figures and what not.But I believe it comes more from somewhere within everyone constituting that organization.
I dont mind if I sound boastful in saying I love my college above all and consider it the best. I have seen it in all its nakedness..the dark and the golden.But at the end of that day, if there is one place I will always come to ,is here...its foundations are rock solid and cannot be shaken.

1 comments:

Shruti

Yea!! contrasting indeed.And however may each of us crib abt this place,deep within we all love this place for what it is.And I know I can generalise.

 
Talking Town ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates