Sunday, February 17, 2008

Dr Major and Mr Hippy

Sunday, February 17, 2008
Time changes a man..I realised this with a certain person. Remember the weight reduction ads that show a fat "before" pic and a slim "after" pic.If only the same could be shown with a person's personality.
Now, the person in question was an Army major I used to play squash with. A typical officer-moustache,cropped hair,upright and I would say in his mid thirties.We would often chat up after game. Among other tings he would talk about his retirement plans,german classes and the usual war stories.A normal man with normal tastes.He stopped coming after a while and I forgot about him.
Then,one day while sitting in the Army Club,I happened to glance at my neighbouring table.The middle aged person I saw did not appear to belong there.Firstly, he was bald..not THE "Bald" types but ones who do it for style and give you an uneasy feeling when you meet them.Then, he was wearing earrings...bright ones.Whatever suspicion I had of him being in the Army stopped right there.So the obvious guess was that he was a guest.Next, he was wearing a Hippy shirt..70s style.Cool..this guy seemed right out of Poorab Paschim.I didnt realise that I was actually staring at him all this while..and that he was smiling back at me!.It could only mean we were acquainted..but where??.In that anxiuos moment of contemplating to return his smile..I knew it..it was that Army major.It is true that the eyes are the window to a persons soul..it was no different with him.I now smiled back but I believe it conveyed more of amazement than mere greetings.I got up and went to him thinking to myself -This is unreal!!Whatever happened to him!.I mean there is no harm in people "changing",even to the extent that he did,but having been around Army officers ever since childhood this was outright rebellious.
After the usual formalities I asked him what he was doing nowadays.I had to know that!His reply,not surprisngly heavliy accented-"Aye,am doing good.Just spend my evenings swimming in the OSHO pool.You know it's a great chillout".Pause.He was IN Osho..that wierd cult of firangs deprived of sex and peace of mind.At least that explained his outlandish outfit."Then this summer I am giving the exam for Film and Televsion Institute of India.Want to get into acting big time.Great fun and all".Talk about a career change!..this guy could script his own story.We talked for a while more and then bid goodbye.
It was an evening of surprises and he left one more while leaving..in fact,I would it was more like a shock.Leaving hand in hand with him was a pretty lass in her early twenties!!!..no it wasnt his daughter coz I knew he didnt have one.So...
I dont know if he did clear the exam for FTII or if he appeared in some or the other film.But, I do know that he had a lot of spirit.At a stage in his life when most would have preferred to lay back..he made a call to live to the fullest.The King of good times!!

2 comments:

rohan

Brilliant!!This guy surely sets an example for all the 'suffocated' engineering students here.

Shwetank

Interesting!! Again reiterates the fact that age should never be perceived as a barrier

 
Talking Town ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates