Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Shadow

Tuesday, October 5, 2010
"I dont want you to help me. I want to be independent". Dhiresh looked up quizzically while I was talking to Dad. Later he asked me if everything was alright. I replied "Yes, just that I want to handle everything on my own". It didnt turn out that way.
Dad did come to Pune to help me find a house.
Ever since he came to know about my shifting, he was on the net searching for places for me. He was a man on a mission.
"These are brokers A,B,C.....in places 1,2,3 with rent X,Y,Z...", he explained.There is a running joke in our house that if there is any problem just log on to Papa.com. So while I had wanted to go about settling down by myself, I was relieved that he had planned out everything.
We'd assumed that it would not be difficult since there were flats available in the localities I was looking at.
However, over 100kms of driving and failed attempts later, we were exhausted. Dad, though, insisted that we keep looking. I put my arms up and refused. I had not anticipated that it would take so much effort and was keen to call it quits. In frustration I called up mom and said- Its not working finding a house with Dad. I knew it was a bad idea. There are localities which are good but the houses are terribly old. Other places rent is high. To add to that some societies attach the stigma of "Bachelor not allowed".
Dad and me were at a stalemate. We usually are. For simple reasons that we are identical in our nature.. So it is often that even while discussing issues we usually end up in heated discussions.
Dad was keen to finalise on a place before he left. I was keen, well, to just sit on the pavement and for a while do nothing.
My mobile rang for the umpteenth time. Even before I saw the number I knew it had to be a broker. It was and he was calling from the other end of the town in Yerwada with a fully furnished flat at a brilliant rent. My legs were screaming but for the first time in the day I smiled. We did check out the place and it was fitting. I loved it. I took it. It was the last place we could have managed to look at for it was already late evening by then. Ironically, we had come to the same locality in the morning to find that a house was already taken up. The one I got was better furnished and at the same rent. We were meant to come back to see this place, I said to Dad.

I remember a time when I was small. At that time, our definition of a family vehicle was the Bajaj Chetak. I had an orange candy in my hand as I stood near the steering while Dad drove and mom sat pillion. In that small space I had my whole world around me. Dad was the center of my world and mom my best friend. I had only to demand and my wish was fulfilled.

As I grew up, I sought my own space and my demands became limited or should I say less defined. Like now when I needed Dad's help but did not want it. I know I can forever say in the times to come that I will manage everything on my own. In his own secret way, my father will keep a watch out for me.

He held my hand and walked ahead as I learned my first steps. Now, I walk ahead-strong and confident. Dad is still there though, walking as my shadow. I only need to turn around to see him.

So, yes, we did find the ideal place.
I think we make a great team.

1 comments:

Anonymous

Basically remarkable putting up! I must say i experienced reading it, tonsil stones you're a terrific artice writer.Most definitely i'll be sure you save your site Satellite direct and can generally return someday. I must strongly encourage people continue any wonderful articles, employ a pleasant break penis advantage few days!

 
Talking Town ◄Design by Pocket, BlogBulk Blogger Templates